Last year, Google kicked off its virtual reality cardboard off in style by enabling a range of schools around the US to take advantage of the technology. Thanks to VR expeditions, this software allowed teachers to act as a tour guide throughout a range of different exciting environments. At the time of launch, these environments included coral reefs, Mars and the peaks of Mount Everest.
Whilst it is a great educational program and teaching tool, it required an extremely lengthy sign-up process, which put many facilities off. Thanks to this feedback, Google decided to create a much more streamlined version which is available, for free, on the Google Play Store. It is expected to arrive on iOS within the next few months.
Google Expeditions: Where Can You Go?
There are already dozens of different expeditions you can embark on with Google’s latest App, and many different panoramas within those expeditions. Just some of the unique locations you can visit include:
- New York City – In New York, you visit a range of incredible environments, from the American Natural History Museum to the LES Ecology Centre, the Guggenheim museum as well as multiple TV Studios and Sets – including the interior of Doctor Who’s TARDIS.
- The Amazon – You can visit several areas throughout the famous rainforest. With more than 2,700,000 square miles in the Amazon Basin of South America, it was a little too big to map entirely, but some of the great locations include Rio Mariepaua and the Tumbira Community.
- Inside The Human Body – Thanks to Virtual Reality Cardboard Expeditions, you can actually take a trip inside the human body. The respiratory system is particularly interesting, allowing you to visit inside the lungs and see the effects of smoking on your lungs.
- Angkor Wat – Save yourself a trip to Cambodia and, instead, visit the famous landmark with VR. You can visit the towers themselves, the statue of Vishnu and the famous Faces of Bayon.
- Antarctica – Along with visiting historic places like Sir Shackleton’s Hut, you can view content about specific animals (Leopard Seals) as well as take a glimpse into the future of this icy landscape.
And there are hundreds more, including Buckingham Palace, various Botanical Gardens, Egypt and Edinburgh castle. For a complete list of the places you can visit using the VR app, click here.
How Does Google Expeditions Work?
All you need to do to take advantage of this huge range of virtual reality expeditions is to get your hands on Virtual Reality Cardboard and install the Expeditions app on your mobile device. Once the application is in place, you can travel all over the world without leaving the comfort of your own home. As well as simple expeditionary tours, you can also access information to help you understand how things work and why certain parts of the world are the way they are.
Create Your Own Printed Virtual Reality Cardboard Today
If you want to design your own Google-inspired Cardboard headset for personal use, or to use as part of your company’s marketing efforts, get in touch with our team of virtual reality cardboard experts on 0208 133 0824. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch today.
- July 19, 2016
- Fola Adejumo